At weekends, my daughter and I often enjoy baking healthy dog treats for our Whippet Misty. Normally we bake Misty some form of biscuit, but this weekend we made her cupcakes. The following is our take on a fantastic dog cupcake recipe made with chickpeas and peanut butter.
It’s a really simple cupcake recipe, involving only 7 basic ingredients that most people will have at home.
As with my other recipes, I’ll explain the ingredients, how to prepare and cook them and I’ll add some photos for you to see the process and results of our last batch.
Misty’s Chickpea & Peanut Butter Dog Cupcake Recipe
- Baking Instructions
Misty the Whippet’s Chickpea & Peanut Butter Dog Cupcake Recipe
This chickpea & peanut butter dog cupcake recipe really is very easy to make and results in 9 small cupcakes which make a lovely tasty treat.
Although relatively small, these are still quite substantial treats and so I advise not giving your dog a whole cupcake in one go… unless it’s a really special day!
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Baking Time: 15 – 20 minutes
- 80g of chickpeas (drained)
- 2 eggs
- 30g of wholemeal flour
- 45g of coconut oil
- 30g of peanut butter
- 50ml of water
- 1tsp of apple cider vinegar
Some peanut butters are sweetened with xylitol, which is toxic to dogs. Use only a peanut butter brand that does not use xylitol. Find out more about foods harmful to dogs.
I’ve used Pip & Nut Smooth Peanut Butter in this recipe and it’s a product I highly recommend. It does not contain xylitol, so it is safe for dogs.
A perfect gift for dog lovers!
This black and white photographic tribute to man's best friend, captures the diversity of the dog world.
Photographer Elliot Erwitt's "Dogs" shows the quirkiness of our furry friends in a series of loving compositions.
I've had this book for over 20 years and it's something I still flick through occasionally... friends and family love it too!
- Drain the chickpeas, add them to a medium-sized mixing bowl and crush them into a smooth paste.
- Break two eggs and separate the yolks from the egg whites. Leave the egg whites to one side in a separate bowl.
- Add the egg yolks to the chickpea paste and mix thoroughly.
- Gently melt the coconut oil and peanut butter and add them to the chickpea paste. Mix together thoroughly.
- Add the water and cider vinegar into the bowl and mix with the chickpea paste until combined.
- Now take the egg whites and beat them for 4 to 5 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the chickpea paste.
- Add the wholemeal flour to the chickpea paste and gently fold together until all ingredients are combined.
- Add the wet mixture equally into the cups in a cupcake or muffin tray. We filled 9 cups on our tray.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C (356°F) or 160°C (320°F) if you’re using a fan oven.
- When your oven reaches temperature, bake the cupcake mix for 15 to 20 minutes until golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside the cupcakes on a cooling rack.
We’ve found that this dog cupcake recipe results in 9 perfectly baked treats for Misty. We allowed her half a cupcake when they’d cooled and we froze the rest to to use as and when needed. However, we don’t tend to give her these every day… they’re treats after all!
Misty’s homemade chickpea and peanut butter dog cupcakes would work really nicely for a special occasion, perhaps with some dog cake icing. You can find some great icing ideas in this post: 5 sweet and healthy dog cake recipes.
If this dog cupcake recipe doesn’t work for you, but feel like making your furry friend a smaller snack, try this banana, peanut butter and carrot dog treats recipe!
I hope you enjoy Misty’s homemade chickpea and peanut butter dog cupcake recipe. Please feel free to ask me a question or let me know if you try the recipe in the comment section below.