One of Misty’s homemade favourites, this recipe for banana, peanut butter and carrot dog treats is quick to prepare and results in a tasty and healthy snack.
We often make a batch of these that last for many weeks, since they can be frozen and defrosted when required.
Misty’s banana, peanut butter and carrot dog treats are incredibly easy to make and require only 6 ingredients that most people will have in their kitchen.
I’ll talk you through the ingredients, preparation and baking details and include a few photos throughout.
Misty the Whippet’s Banana, Peanut Butter & Carrot Dog Treats Recipe
- Baking Instructions
Misty the Whippet’s Banana, Peanut Butter & Carrot Dog Treats
With basic ingredients and a short baking time, your pooch will go potty for these tasty dog treats:
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Baking Time: 15 – 20 minutes, depending on whether you want a softer cookie or a crunchier biscuit type dog treat.
- 2.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 large carrots
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 egg
Some peanut butters contain Xylitol as a sweetener, which is toxic to dogs. Be sure to use a peanut butter brand that does not use Xylitol in its ingredients. Find out more about foods harmful to dogs.
- Add 2 bananas into a separate larger mixing bowl and mash them until there are no lumps.
- Finely grate 2 large carrots into the mashed bananas and stir together.
- Whisk 1 egg, add to the banana and carrots and mix together well.
- Lightly warm 1/4 cup of peanut butter so it’s a little runny. Add the warm peanut butter to the banana, carrot and egg mix and stir together until all ingredients combine to form a batter-like mix.
- Gradually add the 2.5 cups of whole wheat flour into the batter mix and mix together.
- You’ll find the mix becomes a firm dough as you add the last of the flour to the mix. At this point gradually add the 3 tbs of vegetable oil to ensure the mix isn’t too dry. You may need to use your hands to properly mix the dough at this point.
- Roll the dough between 2 pieces of baking parchment to a depth of around 1cm.
- Use your favourite cookie cutter to cut the dough into the shape you desire. We use medium sized star and heart shapes because they look cute!
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (356°F) or 160°C (320°F) if you use the fan setting.
- When your oven is pre-heated, bake your the banana, peanut butter and carrot dog treats for 15 minutes if you want a softer cookie type texture. For a drier biscuit, cook for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the baked dog treats from the oven and set aside to cool.
We kept the first batch we made in a large cookie jar, and because we wanted them a little softer (15 minute bake) they went mouldy after around 4 days!
Should you prefer to make these dog treats soft, my recommendation is to split them into four to six batches and freeze all but one. That way you’ll avoid mouldy treats!
If you bake the treats until they’re dry (18 to 20 minute bake) they’ll probably last longer in a jar. However, if you don’t freeze them, both shorter and longer baked dog treats like these should be stored in a cool, dry place.
If you’re interested in baking something a little more extravagant for your dog, check out these 5 healthy dog cake recipes!
Although Misty’s banana, peanut butter and carrot dog treats recipe doesn’t contain any of the foods dogs must avoid, you should limit the number of treats you give your dog each day.
I hope you enjoy Misty’s banana, peanut butter & carrot dog treats recipe. I’d love to hear if you try them out. Drop me a comment below and let me know how you get on with them.